All entries when lodged become the property of the Society and are received subject to the decision of the Society.
Registrations may be made on-line by members through My Account. If births are notified this way the relevant fee should be paid to the Society by BACS or sent to the Secretary, with a note identifying what it is for. It is not necessary to send a registration form as well.
Calves will not be put in the database, nor Registration Certificates issued, until the fee has been received.
- A Birth Notification Form is available from the secretary for paid-up members for those who do not wish to notify births on-line. Contact email@example.com or Tel. 01595 696300. Members can also download the BIRTH NOTIFICATION FORM here.
- Births may be registered anytime between January and December of the year of birth. All calves must be registered by 31st January the following year to ensure they are included in the Herd book. Registrations should be accompanied by the relevant fee.
- The Herd Book will be published and sent to all paid-up members of the relevant year. Additional copies may be purchased from the Secretary at £10 per book plus postage. Back issues of most years are available. The 2010 Herd Book, the centenary year of the Society, has breeder profiles giving details of herds throughout the UK, as well as the registrations for that year and is £20 per book plus postage.
- Any member requiring an extended pedigree will be issued one on request, at a cost of £5.
- When a member acquires a new animal they should notify the Secretary with the transfer of ownership details, either by downloading and completing the TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP FORM or emailing the information. The seller of the animal should provide the buyer with a copy of the Registration Certificate and a Transfer of Ownership form at the time of the sale. On receipt of the Transfer of ownership information the member will be issued with a new certificate in the new owner's name. There is no fee for this.
Identity of Animals
Prefix and Name
All animals registered must have both.
The exclusive use of a PREFIX (not an Affix) must be approved by and registered with the Society. There is an initial one-off fee of £20 for registering a prefix, payable at the time of joining the Society.
The NAME following the prefix is given by the owner and once registered cannot be changed or used again with that prefix.
All animals must have their official Ear Number which is made from the NATIONAL HERD NUMBER plus ANIMAL NUMBER.
National herd numbers are made up of "UK" plus six digits.
Animal number is six digits.
If registering by mail, please send the completed Birth Notification Form to the Secretary and pay the fee by BACS or cheque to:
Shetland Cattle Herd Book Society
Shetland Rural Centre
Shetland ZE1 0NA