Benefits of Membership of SCHBS
- By becoming a member of SCHBS you will be joining a discerning group of people who love, respect and nurture Shetland's ancient and unique native cow and who work to assure her continuing place in the fabric of crofting and farming in the British Isles. Whether you are a cattle owner or not, the Society welcomes you if you have an interest in this native breed and wish to support its sustainability and the breeders who endeavour to maintain the beauty and characteristics of this wonderful, hardy little animal. A breed from the past, with a place in the future
- You will also receive the Newsletter, “Shaarg” (Shetland for "nagging"!), which is circulated to members when there are reminders, announcements or important items of news.
- Members can access the members area by logging into the "My Account" feature on the SCHBS website. They are then able to view all animals that are registered in their name and search for cattle details of other members in your area and beyond.
- All members receive the annual Cattle Herd Book.
- Members can notify births of calves by logging into the members area or by form (Full members only).
- Full membership entitles the members to one vote per membership at meetings. (Full members only).
Types of Membership
- Full Membership - Single or Joint Annual or Lifetime - To receive all the benefits listed above
- Associate Membership - Members can choose to pay the associate fee rather than the full membership fee if they do not expect to register calves in a particular year. This keeps their membership current but at a reduced rate.
- Friendly Membership - For members who have retired from keeping Shetland Cattle but would like to keep in touch, and also for those who have never been members but have an interest in Shetland Cattle.
Assistance or advice on any matters to do with the cattle or the Society is available from the Secretary, whose contact details appear under The Society tab on the Home Page. The Secretary may also put you in touch with Management Committee members and other experienced breeders in Shetland and on the mainland, for further help and support if required and also help you to source cattle if you are looking to purchase.
Those members wishing to visit Shetland to meet the breeders of the old herds or to see the Shetland cow in her native environment will find a warm welcome from the President and the Management Committee, several of whom have herds whose prefixes go back to the early days of the Herd Book. On a trip to the Shetland Isles old cattle management systems can be observed and lucky visitors may get the chance to sample some of the variety of traditional produce made from the milk of Shetland cows, depending on who may be milking at the time. Shetland hospitality is legendary and SCHBS members who wish to see the cattle in their island home will find a special welcome.
TO JOIN / RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP
ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP IS FROM 1st JANUARY TO 31st DECEMBER and is due in advance.
To renew your membership please download our Membership RENEWAL Form, For new members please download our NEW MEMBERSHIP FORM . Please return the completed and signed form, with the appropriate fees, to:
Shetland Cattle Herd Book Society
Shetland Rural Centre